Cup Disappointment For Harriers: Blackpool 2-0 Harriers
November 6, 2016

Cup Disappointment For Harriers: Blackpool 2-0 Harriers

Harriers were not at their best as their FA Cup run was brought to an end at Bloomfield Road.

Perhaps a little overawed by the surreal occasion in a deserted stadium Harriers failed to reach the heights that they have reached so often in National League North so far this season.

Showing a couple of changes to the side, Elton Ngwatala returned after injury and Ashley Carter was brought in in place of the suspended Ryan Croasdale, Harriers started the game confidently.  Playing their normal game they enjoyed the majority of the possession in the opening exchanges but didn't threaten Sam Slocombe in the Blackpool goal.

The home side took the lead on 27 minutes; the dangerous Kyle Vassell crossing from the right to pick out former Harrier Jamille Matt who headed home his first goal since joining Blackpool in the summer.  Matt was soon to limp out of the game through injury but not before Harriers had gone close to creating an opening; James McQuilkin's corner found Tyrell Waite on the edge of the penalty area who slipped the ball to skipper Keith Lowe but his low cross-cum-shot was easily gathered up by the home defence.

Nine minutes before the break Blackpool doubled their advantage; Brad Potts burst through the middle, his run was blocked by Lowe but the loose ball fell kindly for him to lash past Sam Hornby into the top corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.  The Tangerines should have had the game wrapped up in stoppage time but Danny Philliskirk managed to steer the ball wide from close range.

After the break the game was very much a low-key affair with Blackpool comfortable in control with their two-goal lead.  Michael Cain could have increased their lead early in the half but his shot from distance whistled just wide of the post.

Midway through the half Mani Dieseruvwe got into the penalty area on the right and squared the ball to Arthur Gnahoua but he hesitated and Blackpool were able to clear.

Harriers finally managed their first on-target shot of the game in stoppage time at the end but Slocombe was not tested as Andre Brown's effort was blocked.


Harriers This Week


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016