Harriers Comfortably Through Cup Test: Harriers 6-0 Weymouth
October 15, 2016

Harriers Comfortably Through Cup Test: Harriers 6-0 Weymouth

A professional performance from Harriers saw them avoid the potential banana skin of Southern League side Weymouth.

Recording their biggest FA Cup victory since beating Stratford 7-0 in a 1st Qualifying Round replay in 1978 Harriers cruised through to the First Round Proper and exorcised the ghosts of last season's defeat at Stourbridge at the same stage of the competition.

Showing just one change - Zaine Francis-Angol returning after international duty - from the side that drew with league leaders Fylde last time out Harriers included a surprise on the bench with academy youngster Mitch Evans featuring for the first time.

Harriers made a brisk start to the game and should have opened the scoring in the opening three minutes when first Tyrone Williams with a header and Mani Dieseruvwe with a follow-up shot had efforts from a James McQuilkin corner cleared off the line.  McQuilkin himself had a follow-up shot deflected for another corner; from Arthur Gnahoua's flag-kick Jordan Tunnicliffe headed against the bar.

Francis-Angol made a strong run through the inside-left channel before finding Gnahoua who turned the ball inside to Dieseruvwe on 32 minutes with the big centre forward turning well on the edge of the penalty area before despatching his shot past Dan Thomas in the Terras goal.

The visitors could have drawn level within minutes but Jake Wannell hooked the ball wide at the far post from Charlie Davis's corner.

Harriers doubled the advantage four minutes before the break Gnahoua's corner from the left was met by Tunnicliffe who headed in his first goal for the club.  In stoppage time at the end of the half Liam Truslove, on for the injured Elton Ngwatala, curled in the third from the edge of the penalty area to send Harriers into the break firmly in control of the game.

Gnahoua notched his eighth goal of the season six minutes after the interval; Tyrell Waite and Francis-Angol combining on the left before Truslove rolled the ball square to the leading scorer to despatch past Thomas.

Just short of the hour mark Davis was on hand to keep the score down clearing Keith Lowe's header from McQuilkin's corner off the line.  The fifth goal arrived moments later, however, Waite firing in from just outside the penalty area, a deflection helping into the bottom corner of the net.

The rout was completed eighteen minutes from the end; Francis-Angol's pass was blocked but a defender played the ball into the path of Waite who cut inside and curled his shot round Thomas in inside the far post.

Evans was given his debut for the last ten minutes and slotted straight into the side and didn't look out of place.

In the closing minutes Harriers could have added to the score but Thomas saved from Sam Austin and then again from Truslove.


Harriers This Week


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016