Honours Even In Thriller: Harriers 3-3 AFC Fylde
October 8, 2016

Honours Even In Thriller: Harriers 3-3 AFC Fylde

Harriers and league leaders Fylde served up a classic encounter and shared six goals in a thrilling match.

High-flying Fylde came to Aggborough with the league's only unbeaten record and having won all of their away league games so far.

John Eustace made two changes to the Harriers side that had knocked Lancaster City out of the FA Cup with Ashley Carter coming in for Zaine Francis-Angol and Mani Dieseruvwe returning in place of Andre Brown.

Both teams began the game at breakneck speed, moving the ball around well looking to play 'the right way'; the visitors enjoyed a lot of possession in the opening exchanges but it was Harriers who took the lead after 12 minutes.  Jordan Tunnicliffe's long pass picked out Carter on the left wing who nodded the ball inside to Arthur Gnahoua who took it in his stride before slotting it under the advancing Rhys Taylor to record his seventh goal of the season.

Harriers could have doubled their advantage five minutes later when James McQuilkin's cross after his corner had not been cleared properly caused a scramble in the goalmouth but Taylor was eventually able to grab hold of the ball.

At the other end Sam Hornby pulled off a fantastic save to push Danny Rowe's glancing header from a left-wing corner onto the post before Dieseruvwe cleared.

Before the interval both sides went close with set-piece routines; Richie Baker curled a free-kick oer the wall but Hornby was able to parry while for Harriers McQuilkin was denied by a good save from Taylor as he fired around the wall.

Two minutes before break the visitors drew level with the league's leading scorer Rowe pouncing on the ball 25 yards out and drilling a shot just inside the post beyond the reach of Hornby.

Harriers needed just four minutes after the restart to regain the lead; Gnahoua's pass through the inside left channel sending Elton Ngwatala into the penalty area before sliding his shot inside the far post.

The visitors levelled the scores for the second time on the hour mark; Hornby pulled off another great save to keep out a shot from Rowe but James Hardy was quickest to react to fire in the loose ball.

Harriers pressed to regain their advantage again with Tyrone Williams crossing from the right to the far post where Ngwatala couldn't get up high enough to control his header and instead sent the ball over the bar and then mcQuilkin had another free-kick kept out by Taylor, this time pushing it over the bar for a corner.

Fylde took the lead for the first time after 71 minutes when Hardy was left free at the far post to pounce on a low cross from the right that Harriers should have cut prevented from coming in.

Harriers thought that they had drawn level with seven minutes left when substitute Brown got into the penalty area on the left, his shot hit the far post and rebounded to Dieseruvwe who turned it goalwards but Taylor was able to grab it before the whole ball had crossed the line.

With four minutes left Harriers grabbed a deserved equaliser; McQuilkin's free-kick from the right was headed back into the danger area at the far post by Tunnicliffe and skipper Keith Lowe - who had already missed with a spectacular scissors kick attempt - was on hand to head home.

In stoppage time Harriers could have won the game; McQuilkin, again, with a free-kick from just outside the area that beat the wall but was at the right height for Taylor to push away to safety.


Harriers This Week


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016