Second Half Comeback Saves Point: Alfreton Town 3-3 Harriers
September 24, 2016

Second Half Comeback Saves Point: Alfreton Town 3-3 Harriers

Sluggish Harriers found themselves three goals down at the break but a second half comeback saved a point.

Having won the previous three games scoring eleven goals without replay Harriers were looking to continue their form but were too slow out of the blocks and found themselves behind after just 63 seconds when Craig Westcarr turned in Tom Allan's low cross to give the hosts the lead.

Before they had got going Harriers were two down, Allan rising highest at the far post to power in a header from Ryan Wilson's right-wing corner after ten minutes.

Harriers, showing just one change from the side that had knocked Tamworth out of the FA Cup with James McQuilkin returning to the starting line-up, gradually got a foothold in the game, albeit with the damage already apparently done, and began to create chances.  Tyrell Waite forced a good save from Fabian Spiess while McQuilkin missed a number of good opportunities.

Just as Harriers were taking control the home side went further ahead; Mani Dieseruvwe was dispossessed in the middle of the field, the ball played quickly forward to Adam Priestley who was left one-on-one with Sam Hornby and fired inside the keeper's left-hand post.

After the break Harriers were more fired up and reduced the arrears after 52 minutes; Arthur Gnahoua's back-heel deceived the defence and left substitute Liam Truslove clear to fire across the keeper and inside the far post.

Harriers pressed and pressed but could not get the important second goal.  Eight minutes from time Truslove went close with a 25-yard free-kick that beat the wall and stung the hands of Spiess.  Moments later, though, the second goal arrived; neat passing on the left wing between Gnahoua and Elton Ngwatala saw the latter feed substitute Andre Brown who skipped across the face of the penalty area before curling his shot around Spiess.

Before the celebrations had died down Harriers were level, substitute Sam Austin setting up Truslove to fire in his fourth goal of the season while still yet to make a starting appearance.  With their tails up Harriers looked certain to go on and win the game but Brown's rising shot was deflected away for a corner and from the resultant flag-kick skipper Keith Lowe blasted over the bar when unmarked at the far post.


Harriers This Week


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016