Harriers Keep Pressure On Leaders: Gloucester City 1-2 Harriers
April 8, 2017

Harriers Keep Pressure On Leaders: Gloucester City 1-2 Harriers

Harriers recorded a second away win in as many games to keep the pressure up on league leaders AFC Fylde.

With The Coasters losing at lowly Stalybridge Harriers closed the gap to six points with a game in hand albeit that game in hand is against the same struggling Stalybridge side.

Harriers made changes to the side that had been beaten by Halifax last time out with Darryl Knights and Tyrell Waite coming back into the side in place of the injured Elton Ngwatala and Arthur Gnahoua.

On a difficult surface Harriers made the early running and took the lead on the quarter-hour; James McQuilkin's corner from the left was flicked on by Waite to the far post where Joe Ironside was on hand to bundle the ball over the line from close range.

The visitors could have doubled the advantage less than ten minutes later; Knights won the ball in the middle of the park and switched play out to Waite on the wing who turned it inside to Zaine Francis-Angol who in turn found McQuilkin whose shot had little power but only missed the upright by inches.

City drew level on 25 minutes; a good passing move involving Zak Kotwica and Joe Hanks crafted the opening for Ed Williams who drilled a fine shot past Sam Hornby in the Harriers goal.

Harriers could have restored their advantage before the break when Daniel Nti won the ball on the right and crossed to the near post where Ironside waited but could only steer his shot into the side netting.

After the break both sides pushed for a second goal and there was plentiful goalmouth action at each end.  Just four minutes into the half Chris Knowles' long ball over the middle of the Harriers defence put in Luke Thomas but he fired weakly at Hornby.

At the other end, on the hour, a through ball set Knights away into the penalty area, he squared the ball to substitute Andre Brown who was denied by a last ditch tackle but the ball ran to Ironside who fired over the bar.  Harriers regained the lead moments later; Knights' cross from the left found Nti who controlled and fired past former Harrier Jasbir Singh in one sweeping movement to record his first goal for the club.

In the closing stages Harriers could have made the result safe; McQuilkin's free-kick from the left was not gathered by Singh and fell to skipper Keith Lowe who fired a shot against the bar and then when the ball came back to him he fired over.

In stoppage time the home side were reduced to ten men when Jack Deaman was booked for dissent but continued to harangue the referee and was sent off.


Harriers This Week

No Matches


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016