Harriers Run Ended By Rivals: Harriers 1-2 FC Halifax Town
April 1, 2017

Harriers Run Ended By Rivals: Harriers 1-2 FC Halifax Town

Harriers' 13-game winning run at Aggborough was brought to an end by promotion rivals Halifax 

Leading scorer Arthur Gnahoua returned to the side for the first time in a month following injury, taking the place of Tyrell Waite, but it was newest signing Joe Ironside who took the eye early on.  With just ten minutes on the clock he rose unchallenged to meet James McQuilkin's corner from the left, planting a header past Sam Johnson in the Town goal.

Harriers took the game to their visitors in the opening stages but Halifax showed that they are third in the league on merit and on the half hour should have drawn level when Dion Charles headed against the far post from a left wing free-kick.

Halifax did draw level on the half-hour; a short free-kick on the right wing saw Kevin Roberts cross to giant striker Tom Denton who was left with an easy task to guide a header past Sam Hornby.  Harriers should have gone into the break in front; first Ironside's flick on set up Daniel Nti who shot at the keeper and then in stoppage time they were awarded a penalty after Ryan Croasdale was brought down by Jordan Sinnott.  McQuilkin took the penalty but managed to drag it wide of Johnson's right-hand post.

After the interval Harriers started in lively fashion but were denied by the performance of Johnson in the Town goal; McQuilkin's cross from the right found Jared Hodgkiss but his near post header was tipped away for a corner.  Shortly afterwards Elton Ngwatala set Zaine Francis-Angol away on the left, his cross found McQuilkin who saw his shot pushed over the bar for a corner.

Harriers were saved by the woodwork again on the hour when a free-kick from deep on the left found Denton whose looping header hit the upright.  At the other end a McQuilkin corner from the left was headed across goal by skipper Keith Lowe.

Seven minutes from the end Town took the lead when substitute Cliff Moyo threw himself to the ground near to Croasdale and the referee awarded another penalty.  Sinnott took the kick and drove it firmly past Hornby.

Harriers had one last chance to keep their unbeaten run going in the final minute of normal time when Francis-Angol's cross found Darryl Knights but his shot was saved yet again by Halifax's Man-of-the-Match Johnson.


Harriers This Week

No Matches


Harriers Alumni

ManagementHurren Joins Hednesford Management Team

Gavin Hurren has joined the new management team at Hednesford along with Paul Casey and Gary Birch.
November 14, 2016

TransferDawson Joins Eastleigh

Adam Dawson, who briefly lit the wing for Harriers last season, has joined National League side Eastleigh.
June 6, 2016

TransferBucks Take Gitto

Callum Gittings, released by Solihull Moors will remain in National League North with AFC Telford United.
June 4, 2016